Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day One

A great day on the road! We departed around 730AM from Marlton, NJ and arrived at The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, OH around 330PM. Along the way was easy going turnpike driving.... we had NPR to keep us entertained in the morning and then we put on The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch and when that got too heavy and we had eaten lunch and Michael LET ME DRIVE we put on some Lotus and he snoozed for a bit and before you know it My Morning Jacket is on and we are wide awake finding our way to the Hall of Fame - parking was a breeze and cheap by city standards - 10 bucks and a close walk! The Hall of Fame is a tourist trap, no doubt, but still really interesting..... the actual guitars of Jimmy Hendrix and Jim Morrison and all Hendrix's outfits (unbelievable) plus the lyrics to the songs in their actual handwriting on looseleaf....John Lennon too - and then a whole exhibit on Bruce Springsteen on the top floor - his very first concerts in '74/75 and candid interviews plus letters from his mom to the papers who were writing about him in the late seventies - so cool....The whole Born To Run album was one long Saturday Night down the shore (in Bruce's words)....and a great gift shop where I picked up a few little things - I'm such a tourist - Mike wanted nothing!! He's a cheap date. BUT WE DID SEE THE HOT DOG THAT PHISH RODE IN ON DURING THEIR NEW YEARS EVE '94 CONCERT AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN........day over as far as mike was concerned .

It's a lot of fun traveling with your son all day - I am lucky.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Nance! I love the story about Bruuuuuuuce! I want to hear more.

    Enjoy day 2 and can't wait to read.

    ReplyDelete