Monday, September 27, 2010

Nightmare on Elm Street!!!!!

Did you ever have a day??? Today I had such a day. With my bags unpacked, my camera on the shelf and the days open before me I signed up to be a substitute classroom aide right here in River City.  I have to say I have been on the list for probably a year and a half and every time they call - I HANG UP.....but I know my days are numbered and I have to get out there - so they called last night and I accepted a job at one of the grade schools beginning at 845AM and ending at noon........how tough can that be? I was still remorseful - I wouldn't be able to sit and read the paper for 2 hours with my coffee in my comfy chair.....I wouldn't be able to get my 2.5 mile walk in....

One of my first thoughts were 'what to wear?' - my feet have not been in real shoes since June (except for sneakers) and I really don't have nice work clothes anymore - as it turns out this was not a problem to be concerned about - I showed up 15 minutes early in my nice black pants and black and white sweater and pearls......rude awakening - HELLO?????? They directed me to the preschool wing where I opened an interior door and was greeted by 8 4yr. old autistic kids.........they were screaming and running around and crying and so I started doing the same thing.......did I need to be here?  Was it noon yet? where is the beach? Where do I put my purse? Where is the Purell?

THEN they asked me could I stay till 330? SHOOT! Of course, I said yes - these people needed assistance and truth be told - I ended up falling in love with these little creatures - they were the cutest little things - 7 boys and 1 girl (OK the girl was a screamer and very needy but I ended up jelling with her too) - at the end of the day I was exhausted to say the least - each child had their own aide and these women were phenomenal - so dedicated - I expected to sit around and chat with all these moms and gossip all day - not the case, they engaged those children every second of the day - it was wonderful to see and I hope the parents appreciate these dedicated women - unbelievable..........and at the end of the day when I had to put my little Ryan with the dimples on the little bus to go to DAY CARE  I wanted to take him home - he just seemed so fragile.......

So that was my day which ended at 330PM so I know nobody feels sorry for me - I had 6 full hours of not spending 1 minute thinking about myself and my blood sugar or my family or whatever -for the first time in 2 years I went to work.........so I really don't have a plan for dinner - I'm just going to have Tilapia - leftover pasta with zucchini/ tomatoes and the last of the corn on the cob and oh yea - WINE!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment