Monday, September 20, 2010

Arriving At Destination On Left

The GPS (I call her Karen) told us we arrived at our destination, Portland, OR on Saturday evening the 18th of September. We knew this because it became cloudy and drizzly about an hour outside of the city. This, apparently, is the norm for Portland and don't bother using an umbrella. People just seem to tough it out and get a really good jacket and walk OR bike. This is a HUGE place for bikers......nice wide streets with bike lanes and the bikers actually adhere to the rules of the road and stop at red lights and for pedestrians.

The drive from Boise was about another 8 hrs - what's 8 hrs anymore? NOTHING.... it was another spectacular trip once we got into more western Oregon. We followed the path of Lewis and Clark along the Columbia River (2nd largest river in the US the first being the Mississippi) The coast was a winding cliff with waterfalls and mountains - gorgeous. I think I am jaded now with the vistas around here - I am going to kill myself when I get back to FLAT NJ - thank GOD we have our beautiful beaches and wonderful people (I have to say there are a lot of homeless people out here - a lot of them are young girls just begging - and older folks too .....We're not used to seeing that since Philly and NYC cleaned up their act)

We are staying at a lovely old Victorian B and B called the Lion and the Rose. The Innkeepers are Dusty and Steve and they couldn't be more welcoming or more interested in Michael and why he is here. HOWEVER if anyone saw our room they would throw up - you can't get anymore flowers or pink pink pink or knick knacks in a double room with twin beds.......Mike is like a bull in a china shop - slamming doors and tromping around and knocking little bows and other 'stuff' to the floor. You can't help it - it's everywhere.


Mary, Mike's girlfriend came to meet us on Sunday and she was full of information about Craigslist and Target and getting around town - she is an hour and a 1/2 south of here and working for Americorps as well. Those crazy kids went off on their own and I took the FREE max line down to the Saturday Market (even tho it was Sunday) they have this every wknd and it's huge - music, food, all sorts of cool things to buy - like a giant Flea Market. I, of course was in heaven!



If you come to Portland you have to go the Cadillac Cafe for Sunday Brunch - If I didn't know any better I would have thought I was in NYC except for the prices. The food was delicious and they have an actual Cadillac on the premises. They served neat breakfast martinis too - the Cadillac with bacon infused vodka and Kahlua and something else. I had a delicious fresh omelet with spinach and fontina and bacon and tomatoes for HALF the price it would be at Balthazar! This is one of the reasons they say Portland has so many people between 18-34. They are attracted to the outdoor lifestyle but also how reasonable it is.

Anyway today was Mike's 1st day of WORK!!!!!! He is working at the Clackamass Community College in their Renewable Energy and Sustainability Initiative - something like that. He doesn't have a place to stay yet so he'll be living out of his car...

Tomorrow Destination - HOME

No comments:

Post a Comment