Saturday, September 18, 2010

This Great Country of Ours


Last we spoke we were gearing up for Yellowstone National Park.....One of the first things we saw was this Bison - he was with his friends and they were just grazing along side the road.....the whole day was amazing - pristine weather and not a whole lot of people added to the majesty of the park - I was not prepared for the beauty surrounding us - water falls and valleys and mountains and geysers and wild flowers...not to mention how well-maintained everything was. We even saw a bear! We were driving along the road and noticed cars stopped for nothing and then realized everyone was staring up into the glen and there was a black bear just looking back......each car took a picture and moved on - it was a riot...what I noticed was a lot of older folks (meaning 70s maybe) - the wife had a camera and the husband had a camera and they would just do their own thing.......a lot of cameras which got me thinking that we need to enjoy this and not worry about the picture all the time - so by the time we got to Old Faithful (the famous geyser) - I enjoyed the moment when it actually gushed - very cool - but I also got some good video and pictures!

We spent ABOUT 8 HOURS IN THAT PARK - Mike was in and out of the car - he was having a BALLLLLLLL!!


We dumped the Honda and picked up this little ditty along the way......this is the way to tour Wyoming.....


Anyway I was exhausted by the time we exited the park which was late late - by the time we got to the Grand Tetons it was just about sunset which made it all worth it - breathtaking....



We pulled into Jackson Hole too late to enjoy a dinner out so we ordered take-out from Bubba's BBQ - don't do it - just go to bed......you'll feel better.

OK so I know I said Yellowstone and everything was so unbelievable and that's all true but the really great thing about Wyoming is Jackson Hole - such a COOL town!!!!! Unfortunately, we couldn't spend a lot of time here so I didn't have a lot of time to do some damage in their shopping area - but this place has everything - 1 shop is cuter than the other plus great restaurants - we went to THE BUNNERY for breakfast - a definite for anyone coming here - there was a line out the door - delicious Starbucks coffee and all home made pastries and granola - it would remind you of Penny Cluse in Burlington - delicious .....so that got us going and I'm thinking we'll shop a little bit before we depart and Mike says (shades of his dad) I'm going to climb that mountain and I'll see you after you shop - fine with me - turns out he hiked to the top, no problem - I shopped, no problem and before you know it  - WE'RE BACK IN THE CAR -

The drive to Boise, Idaho was a very pleasant surprise - we thought we would just zip on down the highway - instead we took a "less traveled route" and saw how vast Idaho is - at first it is beautiful mountains and switchback roads and trees and even many babbling brooks and then all of a sudden it's a flat wheat field that goes on forever and then hay and flat, flat, flat.......and cows and buffalo............then it's nice and quiet and an antelope or gazelle or elk ran in front of us very gracefully.......we're not sure what the heck it was!



We arrived in Boise late as usual and would have crashed but we had a good recommendation for a restaurant 4 minutes away in downtown Boise so we checked it out - A GREAT FIND - it was called Asiago - an Italian bistro offering very fresh and different food - we had a nice night after a very looooong interesting day...

Tomorrow is our last leg - we are expected to arrive in Portland in the evening sometime - It's hard to believe - we thought we were just driving around and it turns out we are going somewhere.....

No comments:

Post a Comment