I always thought of this whole grain super food as a savory substitute for rice or pasta so I was surprised when he was using it for breakfast and he was surprised I was using it for anything else........funny how these things go.........I just knew it was a super food and very low on the glycemic index which is good for the diabetic and anyone else looking for a full fiber meal - which we should all be doing and it really is good - as good as brown rice!
Friday, September 10, 2010
Quinoa
Mike has been adding Quinoa (Keen-wa) to his Oatmeal all summer. It's a half and half deal and maybe would include a banana or peach or some blueberries...
I always thought of this whole grain super food as a savory substitute for rice or pasta so I was surprised when he was using it for breakfast and he was surprised I was using it for anything else........funny how these things go.........I just knew it was a super food and very low on the glycemic index which is good for the diabetic and anyone else looking for a full fiber meal - which we should all be doing and it really is good - as good as brown rice!
I was at Whole Foods the other day searching for Quinoa and this lady approached me to see if I had ever cooked the stuff before - she was a very crunchy sort of person (maybe right out of burlington, vt or portland, or) - she offered her insight which I gladly soaked up........look for your quinoa in the bulk foods section (cheaper)......I asked her how she cooks hers................she sautees onion, carrots and celery till they are carmelized in olive oil then adds the quinoa to toast and then adds some vegetarian broth to cover and brings to boil and down to simmer and covers and cooks for 20 minutes...........When I got home I sauteed peppers and onions instead of carrots because they are available local now and very fresh.......I got some red, yellow and green and added chicken broth instead of the vegetarian.................Turned out really well - Harry and Mike lapped it up - I also roasted Atlantic Cod from Whole Foods.........350 bake for 20 minutes after brushing olive oil and salt and pepper on fish......served it with the corn salsa they are featuring these days at Trader Joes. It all turned out really well with a tom jerry tomato salad with mozzarella and fresh croutons smothered in balsamic vinegar and olive oil..........mmmmmmm
I always thought of this whole grain super food as a savory substitute for rice or pasta so I was surprised when he was using it for breakfast and he was surprised I was using it for anything else........funny how these things go.........I just knew it was a super food and very low on the glycemic index which is good for the diabetic and anyone else looking for a full fiber meal - which we should all be doing and it really is good - as good as brown rice!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment