My mother was big on Valentine's Day. We always had little gifts waiting for us and I mean LITTLE. One of my memories was a pink and red heart pillowcase - 1 for my sister and 1 for me........I don't remember what the boys got that year. When we went away to college, you could always count on a card in the school mail box from mom with a 5 dollar bill in it. The year I started dating Harry in college - even HE got a 5 dollar bill! This was mystifying to him but he loved it because he could buy a pitcher that night! The point is - it's just the thought.....just the thought.
Here is a cookie recipe I found in the December issue of bon appetit. In December I rolled them in green sugar and just flattened them before baking but in February I rolled them in hot pink sugar, flattened them and cut them out with a heart cookie cutter. These are a little different than your basic butter cookie because of the lemon. I really like them! Too Much!!!
Lemon Sugar Cookies
Makes about 24
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
1 large egg
2 T finely grated lemon peel
1 t vanilla extract
1/4 t salt
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
colored sugar crystals
Using electric mixer, beat first 6 ingredients in large bowl really well. Beat in flour. Cover; chill dough until firm but not hard, about 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 350'. Coat 2 large cookie sheets with nonstick spray. Pour sugars into separate bowls. Working with moistened hands and 1 level tablespoon at a time, shape dough into balls. Roll balls into colored sugars to coat; arrange on sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Using bottom of glass, flatten each cookie (and this is where I cut out heart with the cookie cutter or forget making hearts and just have pink round shapes - all good!)
Bake cookies until golden on bottom, about 14 minutes. Cool on rack.
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE!
nice job love, merl
ReplyDeleteI hadn't visited the site in a while, so I decided to take a look today--what a lovely memory you have shared! Hope you had a great birthday! Happy Valentine's Day!
ReplyDeleteLove,
Chris