Monday, January 31, 2011

Meatless Monday

This is what we are dining on this Meatless Monday in the arctic wonderland of South Jersey.....

                                     MEATBALLS!!!!!!!




This recipe is from my sister's mother-in-law, Addie and is your basic go-to meatball but I will add the recipe here, anyway for some of the 20-somethings who have never made a meatball - just remember this is coming from me, of 100% Irish descent and one who didn't learn from an Italian mom.  I just think these are easy and tasty and if it wasn't Meatless Monday - you could be making them right now!



1 1/2 pound meatloaf mix or ground beef
1 cup bread crumbs (I use fresh crumbs from leftover bread that I grind in cuisinart and keep in freezer in freezer bags - always have that way!)
2 beaten eggs
1 t parsley
1 t salt and 1/2 t pepper
1/2 cup of Parmesan (I used Asiago because that's all I had)
1/2 t garlic powder
a little milk if you need it to keep meat together

Combine all with hands and make into meatballs - Bake 450' 25 minutes.

But because it IS Meatless Monday and I know my son, Mike will be looking for a meatless night (he adheres to these things because he is living in Portland and they are serious about their bodies AND the environment)..........Anyone seen PORTLANDIA yet? IFX channel on Fridays - it is a riot!

What you can do is broil a nice piece of fish with a little olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper for 8 minutes or until it is flaky.  You can lay this on a bed of Herbed White Puree - I was emailed this recipe today and I plan to make it this week - looks so easy - you should have all the ingredients - healthy and tasty - don't worry if you don't have a cuisinart - just mash  with fork!  Here is the link......

http://www.realage.com/recipefinder/herbed-white-bean-puree-recipe-2158?kw=ist

If you like this recipe and try to make Meatless Monday part of your life  (which, in my opinion, sounds a lot like Fridays in Lent, but not as cool??) - maybe you'll have enough energy to go on a hike in the great Pacific Norhtwest like Mike!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment