Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Bourbon-Glazed Sweet Potatoes

Well I guess it's "that time of year again"...how many times are we going to hear that in the next month........but it's true - and "that time of year" begins with Thanksgiving.  My sister, Sheila is usually the one who hosts the big day in our family.  She does a beautiful job of creating a delicious meal and at the same time making it look decidedly easy - PLUS HER HOUSE ALWAYS LOOKS IMMACULATE - she's one of those people you hate - I am not a cleaner.  I don't see the dirt!  How can two sisters come out of the same family and be so different?? But I digress.

So I always bring a few dishes to the Thanksgiving table and today I prepared the Sweet Potatoes.  I had never made this recipe but thought it looked sweet and simple to make.  The recipe was in the Charleston Post and Courier newspaper.  I found it while I was down there and because they are so big on the sweet potato down there I thought this might be the ticket!  So here goes and I might add they turned out swell and tasted syrupy and succulent and delish.



BOURBON-GLAZED SWEET POTATOES

4 to 6 sweet potatoes peeled and sliced about 1/2 in thick
4 T butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup bourbon
2 T maple syrup
salt and fresh pepper

Preheat oven to 375'
Butter an ovenproof casserole dish.  Arrange sweet potato slices in prepared dish and season with salt and pepper.
In a large saucepan, combine butter, sugar, bourbon and syrup and bring to boil over medium high heat.  As soon as the sauce starts to boil,  pour over the potatoes.  Bake and baste and turn potatoes occasionally until soft and tender, 45 to 50 minutes.  Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.

I'd love to hear what other sweet potato recipes you people use out there.  Some people don't even feel the need for them if they have the regular white potatoes but because I try to stay away from the white stuff (as a diabetic) I always come equipped with the sweet potato.  ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. This recipe only calls for a 1/2 cup of bourbon and you purchased a pint. Did you smack the rest of the bottle with these taters??

    ReplyDelete