So last we spoke - I don't know I can't remember. I have been subbing so much my mind is in a tizzy! I have decided that I like the Middle School kids best......they are easy and fun to be with - they don't seem to mind having a strange mom around...they try to help me instead of the other way around! Today I learned Spanish and how civilization was born. I even witnessed a science experiment with fire and ice.......had some more Spanish and some lunch and then went to Home Ec where we learned how to follow a recipe....
With all this "working" I have had to plan meals a little more in advance......mind you I get out at 2 or 3 but I am depleted by then and can't do anything except schlepp home and watch Oprah.......we still have tomatoes in the garden so we are having nice fresh salads with kirby cucumbers and red onion but the farm stands also are full of butternut squash and the local papers are featuring many recipes for this fall staple.
Yesterday I bought 2 pounds of the squash already cut up at Trader Joes. We were having Pork Tenderloin so I roasted some of that squash with some sweet potatoes for a healthy and delicious side dish. Just clean and dice a sweet potato (I like the white sweet potatoes) and mix with butternut squash along with olive oil, salt and pepper and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake 400' for 20 minutes...stir and bake 20 minutes more - the result are some tasty caramelized goodies!
For the remainder of the squash I made a Butternut Squash Soup that looked good from Epicurious.com and it turned out to be fantastic.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/107688
It was a nice thing to come home to on a rainy Thursday after a grueling day in Home Economics!
No comments:
Post a Comment